Saturday, July 27, 2013

Moral Monday- GO!

After much trial and error I figured out how to personalize the background of my blog! I used a great site called Hot Bliggity Blog. They have tons of really cute and eclectic designs to choose from. I would highly recommend! Once you choose a design the site gives directions on how to apply it to blogger which was an added bonus!

Okay enough of the blog background rant...

I am really excited to announce that my mother and I will be attending Moral Monday to be a part of the movement to change the NC General Assembly's attitude towards public education. It is beyond heartbreaking what they are doing to us public school teachers in NC. An educator certainly has to be "called to teach in North Carolina" as we are now the 51st (including Puerto Rico) State in the USA of the worst paying jobs for teachers- that hurt to type. It hurts to hear that those in the Capital forgot that if it weren't for us teachers they would never have made it to the seat they are in now.

Here are just a few things that they are doing to us teachers:
1- laid off teacher's assistants which directly affects our differentiation (meeting the needs of our students)
2- took away tenure (career status) for public school teachers
3- will no longer be paying us for having a masters degree...seriously? what other profession doesn't honor the desire to be a life long learner by getting a masters degree?
4- cap size of classes removed therefor making teachers job even harder to meet the needs of our students

I am not saying that everyone in NC Capital building is crazy and "out to get us". However, I am saying that those who spoke so boldly and highly of public education in NC before the election are not putting their words into actions. Quite frankly we seem to be going backwards. I could teach in a neighboring state and make 10,000 dollars more a year- that's the worst of it. That is why I say that you have to be "called to teach in NC" to stay and put up with all of this.

As a result of all this nonsense, I am choosing to be a part of a movement called Moral Monday. I encourage you to look it up if you are an educator in NC as you might want to be involved in this as well. My Mama and I will be there in support of public education. My mother is a teacher assistant in another county here in NC and her position went from full time to part time- no benefits, pay cut even more, and will result in her being stretched so thin between teachers her time seems pointless. Her school had 10 assistants...now they have one and a half (my mama is the half position).- it's beyond sad.

With all of this said, I can confidently say that even though the General Assembly seems to be demolishing public education- they will not demolish my desire and passion to teach in my county. I wouldn't want to teach at any other school nor county. I know that my God has me here for a reason and I am confident that He will make things right in my state regarding public education. Things might have to get worse before they get better but I know that my God is sovereign and will take care of me and my family.

Put NC on your prayer list as a lot of heart changes are needed in our Capital. I am thankful for my amazing school and county where they support us as educators and are trying to do all they can to make teaching what it should be with the little we are given. We will persevere through this and things will get brighter soon- if anything I will get to meet my new sweet 2nd graders in a few weeks! That alone is worth all the mess we are putting up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment